Past Readings (not available on Bookshop.org)
- “The Affirmative Information Policy: Opening Up a Closed City” by John Kretzman Source: P. Clavel and W. Wiewel, eds, Harold Washington and the Neighbourhoods: Progressive City Government in Chicago 1983-1987. New Brunswick, N.J.: Rutgers University Press, 1991.
- “Convivial Reconstruction” by Ivan Illich from “Tools for Conviviality” Source: Fontana/Collins, 1973.
- “Designing Freedom, Regulating a Nation: Socialist Cybernetics in Allende’s Chile” by Eden Medina Source: Journal of Latin American Studies 38 (2006): 571-606. United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press, 2006.
- “The Drama! Teen Conflict, Gossip, and Bullying in Networked Publics” by Alice E. Marwick and danah boyd.
- Investigation on Competition in Digital Markets Source: United States House Judiciary Subcommittee on Antitrust, Commercial and Administrative Law, 2020. & U.S. v. Google Source: Department of Justice, 2020.
- Leverage Points: Places to Intervene in a System by Donella Meadows.
- “The Negro Family: The Case for National Action” (the 1965 Moynihan Report) by Daniel Patrick Moynihan Source: Office of Policy and Planning. U.S. Department of Labor, March 1965.
- “Predictive Policing: The Role of Crime Forecasting in Law Enforcement Operations” by Walter L. Perry, Brian McInnis, Carter C. Price, Susan C. Smith, John S. Hollywood Source: RAND Corporation, 2013
- “Roles for Computing in Social Change” by Rediet Abebe, Solon Barocas, Jon Kleinberg, Karen Levy, Manish Raghavan, David G. Robinson Source: Cornell University, 2019.
- SNCC (film) by Danny Lyon.
- “So you want to reform democracy” by Josh Tauberer.
- Street–Level Algorithms: A Theory at the Gaps Between Policy and Decisions by Alkhatib and Bernstein.
- “Violence and Economic Activity: Evidence from African American Patents, 1870 to 1940” by Lisa D. Cook Source: Michigan State University, 2013.
Other Readings (not available on Bookshop.org)
- “Affective Disorders of the State: A Spinozan Diagnosis and Cure” by Ericka Tucker Source: Journal of East-West Thought: 3 (2):97-120, 2013.
- “The Government Machine: A Revolutionary History of the Computer” by Jon Agar Source: MIT Press, September 2003.
- “The Holodeck of Motive” by Aaron Straup Cope Source: aaronland.info, February 2015.
- “The Politics of Information Reform in Chicago: An Experiment in Democratization” by John P Kretzmann Source: Ph. D. (Sociology)–Northwestern University, 1985.
- “The Public and its Problems” by John Dewey Source: Henry Holt and Company, 1927.
- “Red Plenty Platforms” by Nick Dyer-Witheford Source: Culture Machine Vol 14, 2013.
- “Scenarios: Shooting the Rapids” by Pierre Wack Source: Harvard Business Review November, 1985.
- “Seeing Like a Geek” by Tom Slee Source: crookedtimber.org, June 2012.
- “Socialize the Data Centres!” by Evgeny Morozov Source: New Left Review 91, January-February 2015.
- “Solidarity Not Charity: Mutual Aid for Mobilization and Survivial” by Dean Spade
- “Truth and Politics” by Hannah Arendt Source: The New Yorker, 1967.